½ cup milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup warm water (about 100 degrees)
2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
¼ cup (49.5 grams) sugar
1 large egg plus 2 large egg yolks
1 ½ teaspoons salt
4 ¼ cups (590 grams) Maninis® Multiuso Multi-Purpose Mix, plus more for dusting
Cream Cheese Icing:
1 Package (227 grams) cream cheese
2 tablespoons softened butter
2 teaspoons heavy cream or half & half
1-1/4 cup confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup packed (149 grams) light brown sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons melted butter
- For the Icing: combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer and blend together at low speed until roughly combined, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to high and mix until the icing is uniformly smooth and free of cream cheese lumps, about 2 minutes. Transfer the icing to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- For the dough: Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan or in a microwave until the butter melts. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside until the mixture is lukewarm (about 100 degrees). Stir yeast in to 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand until creamy (about 10 minutes). In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, mix together creamy yeast with the remaining water, sugar, egg, and yolks at low speed until well mixed. Add the salt, warm milk mixture, and 2 cups of Multiuso flour and mix at medium speed until thoroughly blended, about 1 minute. Switch to the dough hook, add 2 cups of Multiuso flour, and knead at medium speed (adding up to ¼ cup of the flour, 1 tablespoon at a time) until the dough is smooth and freely clears the sides of the bowl. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface.
- To Roll and Fill the Dough: After turning out onto a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, shape the dough into a 16 by 12-inch rectangle, with the long side facing you. Mix together the filling ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle the filling evenly over the dough, leaving a ½-inch border at the far edge. Roll the dough, beginning with the long edge closest to you and using both hands to tighten the roll with your fingertips as you roll. Moisten the top border with water and seal the roll. Lightly dust the roll with flour and press on the ends if necessary to make a uniform. Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish or use a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the roll into 12 equal pieces and place rolls cut side up, evenly in the prepared baking dish or baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free spot, allow to rise to approximately double in size.
- To Bake the Rolls: When the rolls are almost fully raised, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the rolls until golden brown about 25 to 30 minutes, a thermometer should read 185 to 188 degrees inserted in the center of a roll. Invert onto a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn the rolls upright on a large serving plate and use a rubber spatula to spread the icing on them. Serve immediately.